View Single Post
Old 01-19-2017, 12:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Al31 View Post
Well I'm 31 and I have a problem with drinking.

I'm a barman though and I'm a manager now so I don't want to change my job as well.

I went 6 weeks without drinking before Christmas but after a while I start to convince myself I don't have a problem.

My friends aren't supportive of me quitting because we do have fun when drinking. I also have a digestive illness (UC) which is only made worse by alcohol!

I know I need to quit but it's just so hard, and AA isn't for me. I just need some will power. I don't drink every day and I don't drink on mornings, it's just when I do drink I can't stop!
AA wasn't for me either. One of the first things I tried was willpower. Give it a go. If it works and you have a happy life as a result that would be brilliant. If you end up miserable, or drinking again, then there are a range of other things you can try. Get away from those people that want you to drink, a new job, a new town, a new girlfriend, a self help book, join a gym, get a hobbies to distract you. You never know, a combination of these things may work.

If you reach a point where nothing has worked and you have run out of ideas, like I did, you might find AA looks a little more hopeful.