View Single Post
Old 01-18-2017, 07:12 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
stargazer016
Quit 4/17/15

Inc, it's funny you used the word "lame" to describe your birthday. Compared to most of my birthdays over the years, mine was too. Dinner with the family, a few presents. Compared to the times of all day partying, it indeed looks kind of lame. But, spending the day with loved ones who care and accept you for who you are now is pretty cool.

I have had stretches in recovery, especially the last few months, where my life seems almost boring. I eat, work, sleep and repeat the next day. Drinking brought excitement- and tons of drama too! The newness of sobriety has worn off by now and like Amp and OMD have mentioned, I really have become a hermit socially. I wonder if others at our stage run into a "Is this all there is to sobriety?" at this point. I guess the flashiness of being newly sober has been replaced by the routine of living life each day not as an alcoholic and all the hell that came with living that life. Boring, lame and reclusive are better than drunk, stupid, and embarrassing.

We are always quick to remember the good times drinking. It takes a moment to remember the constant fighting with myself, trying to hold off on my first drink until 10:00am, and failing repeatedly. Amp, I love your analogy of being a 21 month old learning everything anew. That is pretty apt. We have to learn everything all over again. Frustration is inevitable, I assume. We have to remember it is one step at a time each and every day.

Have a great day all!