Old 01-16-2017, 05:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Wells

heartcore - I really want to thank you for that. I like to hope I was aware of most of that but it's so nice to see the sentiment written down there so concisely and as a reminder that everything and everyone here has been pretty spot on here so far -- Why have any reason to think differently?

In the same way I made mistakes romanticizing the past thinking back, I can easily make the same mistake making assumptions about the future.

I have to also remember that, while I myself could have been a rebound, one that lasted 10 years, I knew pretty early on what type of relationship it was going to be, and I signed up for it anyway. But any relationship, short-lived or long lasting, with an addict, sure is a bumpy road.

When I broke it off, I had to finally accept the fact that she couldn't moderate and as long as alcohol was around, she could not be part of my life. She has a tough road ahead if she's trying to find a way to start over and moderate, but she is the queen of the "fresh start / clean slate" approach as you mention above so I'm afraid she's going to repeat history. For her own sake I have to hope that anyone new in her life is not as much of an enabler as I was. She needs to get better!

Thanks again so much, your post came at the right time today when I really needed to read something like that. Much appreciated.