View Single Post
Old 01-16-2017, 05:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

LOL...call me "old school", like Lilro, in some respects....
About blended families....have you read any books on the subject? There are some good ones, if you haven't. I remember the covering of this subject in a course that I was taking in Marriage and Family.....and, it was a real eye opener, as to the issues that are common. Especially, how the transitions are made...and, the unexpected pressures that can arise.....It was said that it takes about 7 years, on average, for the family to feel totally solid.....easier if the kids are toddler age....but, more difficult as the age of the kids increases.......And, the role of step-parent is a slippery one and is more thankless than lots of peo ple assume it will be.
Add to it....that the sage advice given to addicts not to make any major life decisions in the first year...at LEAST....actually, lots of people consider the first two years to be early recovery.....
NOw, I am not trying to be a negative Nellie....(I know I sound like it)...
It is just that I think that One should enter major life changes with eyes wide open. And, both parties should have their issues well in hand...
This is especially important when there are kids involved. If it were just the two of you...it would not be so very critical....
It seems like you two are riding a "winning horse"....for this early in the recovery process.....I have always been advised not to change horses in the middle of the stream,if it seems to be a winning horse.....Not "pushing the envelope".
If she successfully latches onto recovery, for the long haul....she will never be exactly the person she was when you met her..if she was drinking, then...
Genuine recovery...changes the thinking, attitudes, and the behaviors.....

I think, that, in a another year, you will have a much better view of the lay of the land......