View Single Post
Old 01-14-2017, 09:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Oct2016

Originally Posted by whatcouldbe View Post
I have been sober for 14 days and happy for these last two weeks of my life. I am in this wholeheartedly. With that being said, about 3 days in i started on a medication (dr prescribed) for depression and anxiety (probably related to alcohol but not reason it was prescribed). Ok now for the question, upon taking this medication my smoking has ceased, mood increased, everything medicine was supposed to do thank God finally! But also my desire to drink and impulsivity to do so is also gone. I have no difficulty with my av or my resolve. I like my life much better without alcohol, but how does one ever know if alcohol is the cause or if depression and improper treatment led to the alcoholism...does it matter? I dont know...just thinking out loud...
I have been wondering myself if the antidepressants I went on soon after I quit drinking is part of the reason I am having a much easier time than I expected. It's like no physical cravings! Of course, I have been in and off different antidepressants/anxiety for 15 years, but I switched med that worked more on the depression and on the dopamine receptors about a month into sobriety. I'm thinking maybe all this time any of these meds could've worked like they should if I wasn't drinking? Or have I finally found the best med for me? I don't know. In my case, I know the depression came first because even as a young child, I felt impending doom and anxiety. What's going to happen if the meds stop working? Will the craving come back? I think we definitely overthink these things. Just don't drink as that will surely make it worse.