Old 01-12-2017, 06:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
MLD51
Giving up is NOT an option.

Excellent OP, you two, and a great reminder that things really do get better.

It does feel like a struggle for a while. Having to learn to live sober when so much of our lives were spent pursuing that next drunk or high - obsessing over when we could drink or use, and then regretting it. Trying to fight through hangovers. Having to lie about our use. Lying about where we were and what we were doing. We feared that we would not have any friends sober, no more social life, no more fun. But did we really have those things when drinking? I know I didn't. I had drinking buddies, my social life WAS drinking, and it wasn't much fun 99% of the time at the end. Just a daily slog through life, with no end in sight.

In sobriety, we find we still have a life - one very much worth living. We find new friends, or make real connections with the few that stick around after we choose sobriety. We have a different sort of social life, one that doesn't center around the boring life of sitting around and drinking. We learn to smile and have real fun again.

It really does get better. As LB said, I wish I could show those still struggling with addiction just how much better their lives can and will be if they put down the alcohol and/or drugs. When I first got sober and started going to AA, I saw evidence every day at meetings that a fulfilling life without booze was not only possible, but that I could have it if I wanted it. All around me were people who had found renewed purpose and had the most beautiful, warm smiles on their faces. I wanted that. I'm getting there. It just keeps getting better.