View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 11:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
otter
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

Two things I remember helping me get back on my feet after years of drinking were exercising both the mind and body.

I obviously don't know what kind of shape you're in physically but getting out of the house and exercising does wonders to help reverse the damage alcohol does both mentally and physically.

Start off by speed walking (or just walking) a distance you're comfortable with and then increase as you see fit. Then maybe lift some light weights and speed walk. Then maybe move onto a cross-fit course, speed walking and light weights. You get the picture. Whatever your comfortable with but get up, get out, and move.

A tool I used to exercise the mind outside of traditional methods such as reading and working was taking on-line classes. The site I use is EDX (click "EDX" for link).

They have classes in almost every subject you can imagine. From quantum physics to English literature. To top off this wonderful resource the classes are compiled by prestigious colleges such as MIT, Harvard, and Berkley to name a few and they're all free.

Don't get down on feeling "weird". It's normal. Is that an oxymoron?

Once you battle though the funk of becoming sober again you'll learn to live again and realize there's a whole world out there that is not only manageable in sobriety but much more enjoyable when you're not consistently fighting the fog of the consequences of a never ending hangover.

Hang in there! We're rooting for you!