View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 12:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Horn95

Doggone it! I slipped. :(

Was feeling so good, and felt like perhaps I was not a "true" alcoholic -- whatever that means. So I said, "what the heck?! One or two won't hurt to take the edge off of some anxiety I was having (big meeting tomorrow).

Well, I am an alcoholic, hence, imbibing not two weeks after quitting. Single drink Friday night, single drink Saturday, and two drinks yesterday. No withdrawal or anything, but bad anxiety today. No benders or anything, just some "drop, drip, drip." Pun intended.

After the last one I realized I was heading down the path that sent me to detox in the first place. And I am really mad at myself.

I am not going to beat myself up too bad, as I did show SOME restraint. But I realize that my restraint must be TOTAL. I am also aware hardly anyone quits totally the first go at sobriety. No excuses, but not a disaster.

I am not going to say I am "starting over" from scratch, but that this is an ongoing process to achieve my goal of total abstinence. But it is heckuva time for me to handle this as well as what is going on in my professional life. I am reminded of that line from the Airplane movie from the 70s -- "I picked the wrong week to quit drinking."

And then I realize, there is no good time to keep drinking. And that the best time to quit drinking is always immediately. Onward and upward. I need to get a plan, and follow it.