Old 01-03-2017, 11:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
CaptainM

A friend asked me, "Is my BF an alcoholic?"

Last week I was catching up with one of my best friends over the phone, and after I caught her up on the latest and greatest of my soon to be XAH she asked me, "Should I be worried that my boyfriend is an alcoholic?"

Now, I should note that I've only met her bf one time (we don't live in the same state) and I'm far from an alcoholic expert - but I didn't "noticed" any red flags. In fact he seemed awesome! I come to find out, however, that he has had at least one red flag incident - he drunkenly drove over to her place one night after she stayed out later than she had originally told him (he also texted and called her numerous times that evening) and when he arrived he was visibly upset (no abuse, just "a mad drunk"). Then he also drunkenly drove back to his place... (I heard about this from our other best friend - small game of telephone I suppose).

I didn't know about the drunk driving incident when she and I spoke on the phone, so I told her "From what I know about your BF, I don't think he is one but do keep an eye out."

I now have a pit in my stomach... she desperately wants to be married, have kids, etc. and she wants this guy to be the one.

What advice should I give her? Tell her to keep an eye out for other red flags, tread carefully, or ??? (my gut is telling me I should bring it up again with her and let her know that if she's concerned then there may be something to it...)

Thanks!