View Single Post
Old 01-03-2017, 08:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
MLD51
Giving up is NOT an option.

Bim said it - "thoughts are just thoughts." I still have thoughts of drinking sometimes. I was at a small New Year's gathering on Saturday night. I was watching other people drink and got a bit wistful. I was thinking things like "I wish I could do that." And "just one little taste of champagne would be so nice." But I played the tape forward, remembered where that "one little taste" would probably lead, and banished the thoughts within a few minutes. It was pretty uncomfortable for a few minutes, but I got through it and I had fun without alcohol. Thoughts can't hurt you. Figure out how to deal with the drinking thoughts, because you will have them. Just remember how awful you would feel if you drank, or think of a time when you did something you regretted when you drank, and you can get past it. Change up your routine - do something else at the times when you used to drink. Distract yourself. Try different meetings. Go for a walk after work. Set up meetings with sober friends for coffee or whatever. Lots of things you can do that will help you break that pattern.