View Single Post
Old 01-03-2017, 08:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
biminiblue

You've gotten some really good advice so far.

I would add that your thoughts of drinking are just thoughts. I still think about drinking now and then. There is no way that is going to go away completely - it was a huge part of my life and I drank for everything everyday. I had lots of associations to break. The longer I've done it, the easier it is and the further apart are these thoughts.

The thoughts can't hurt you. But don't dwell on them. As soon as I get a thought of drinking, I say, "I don't drink." I have to shut that down and move on to something else. It is allowing that thought to percolate which is where people get in trouble. Ruminate about something good or useful instead. Even just work a crossword or Sudoku puzzle.

I had some material memorized that I would start reciting in my head in the early days. Mine was a prayer, but you can memorize and list your old teachers, all of your past addresses, phone numbers, poetry. I also used to start listing in my head all the usernames on this forum. Then I would say, "Every one of them would tell me I don't drink."