View Single Post
Old 01-03-2017, 08:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ruby2

The hardest part about quitting for me, in the beginning, was breaking the long ingrained habit of having a drink at the end of the work day. I powered through. I didn't stop at the stores I would normally stop at. I stayed linked to SR during all my free time, posting and reading and reading and posting. I attended AA meetings and found a rhythm as to which meetings I liked best and stuck with those. I had to establish a new routine.

Even if you find that AA is not for you, try to attend meetings now, at the end of your day, to break the habit of drinking to relieve the stress. I also found it crucial that if I made plans, even in my head, that I followed through no matter what. Really cold outside with a foot of snow? Get to a meeting. Bed seems really comfy warm and I'm tired? Get to a meeting. Any plan that you have that doesn't involve alcohol, follow through. Coffee with friends? Make sure you get there.

Keep the plan simple but think ahead. I like Non's suggestion of filling in the blank.

Good job on two plus weeks. You can do this.