View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 09:19 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Centered3

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
Centered3, I realize that you are in AA, so the terminology is different, but your post struck me because the mechanics you describe are nevertheless similar.
Yes I see that too on SR. :-)

I filter any thoughts that support the addiction, and attribute them to one entity. All the other, non-addiction-supporting thoughts belong to another entity.
That is very cool. What recovery program do you use? AVRT? It sounds so similar.

You apparently use God/HP vs Ego/Mind, whereas I prefer to use It vs Me, or I vs IT. I have not run across many in AA who will describe this sorting process, but you are not the first, either.
Same concept, different wording! :-) The AA program I follow is an entity within AA with only ~100 programs in the US.

I'm going to remember what you wrote here in case I get a sponsee who is atheist. The program I follow teaches us how to see the "lies" our mind ("It") tells us. Now you got me curious about AVRT. :-)

If I'm not mistaken, Eckart Tolle teaches a similar technique--separating the "I" (authentic self) from "myself" (lies in the mind).

Beyond stubbornly not drinking, I've always suspected there may not necessarily be "many ways" to abstain, as is often claimed. It is possible that there is a common thread.
Stubbornly not drinking made me sicker.

I'm so happy there is a common thread because I dislike all the separation I see between those with different addictions and those with different recovery methods.

PS - Now that I think about it, about 20 years ago (before I joined 12-step) I remember reading online about recovering from anorexia and people would separate the "true self" thoughts from the "disease" thoughts. It's powerful.