Old 12-26-2016, 10:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Plure

Hi Unwound, welcome! I think AA might be good to try out and see what they may have to offer to you.

You don't even have to be sober when going, but have the desire to stop drinking. In my experience it's a good place to hear other's stories and figure out how you fit into the continuum of those who drink, from alcoholics whose life has truly become unmanageable to those who are high functioning but just want to quit for a little bit, or forever. I've seen all types who attend AA.

The way you present things in your post tells me you do want to maintain sobriety for a period of time, so why not keep it up for 30 days at least?

Personally, I have never been able to maintain sustained moderation in drinking. It will creep up over time to drinking too much. Thankfully this time I stopped while still being "high functioning" and didn't descend into the place I was a few years ago. Even stopping now, and having drunk way less than before, I am able to see a lot of positives of sobriety. You don't have to hit rock bottom too see benefits of cutting out the booze.