Old 12-26-2016, 02:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
PhoenixJ

Unwound- hello, welcome, thanks. At the end of the day- you have identified your use of alcohol as being dysfunctional and that it effects your health, behaviour and thoughts. You have a family history. Choices- stop now and forever more and do not take any risks to being an alcoholic that reaches a rock bottom (like me), OR keep drinking and 'control' it. You have indicated not doing this.
I do know those who stop and then start- usually fall harder and faster. The number of year of abstinence is irrelevant. The behaviour being behind it- the reasons for drinking. Why is stopping drinking such an analytical issue for you? Is so entrenched in your life you cannot just stop? For me the choice is only too real- if I drink, next time I will die.
Functional alcoholic is a contradiction in terms. A house that is full of wood rot may look sound- until it collapses. Alcoholism is just that. If a person hides alcohol or is secretive or changes their behaviour to drink- there is an issue.
The choice is yours. There are no concrete answers. I get the feeling from your narrative you have already reached an answer to this- yes?
Keep posting and sharing. PJ