View Single Post
Old 12-25-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
EveningRose

Originally Posted by PurpleKnight View Post

The important thing is to not rest your own happiness on what your mum may or may not do, but instead rest it on living your own life and enjoying this time of year with your son, those things are within our control, whereas what other family members do, sadly we cannot change, and they themselves may never change.
For whatever reason, the incident actually left me with a sense of peace. I've been dealing with this for 7 or 8 years, maybe 10 (depending which ugly event you count from.) I know they're not going to change and the first thing I realized on going no contact was...I don't actually miss any of them! It was eye-opening as to how much there was nothing to miss.

My only concern, ever, is that they're telling my kids these things--my ex-husband takes the kids to spend time with them often and my older kids go on their own and will spend part of every holiday with them.

I've already seen how it's impacted one of my siblings' and one of my own kids--because they buy the family story, they feel free to completely disrespect me.

My hope rests in continuing to live my life as I do, and that one day they finally see who I am and what they're told just aren't matching up as the same person. If my kids get sucked into the lies, I still know for myself that I lived with integrity and lived well.