View Single Post
Old 12-23-2016, 04:47 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  
paulokes

Well...I'm at home for Christmas and feeling like a stroppy teenager at least if not (always) behaving like one I always feel this way when I come home...in my opinion it's unavoidable. Family dynamics run deep...when we're around family we all tend to fall in to familiar patterns of feeling, thinking, relating...

In terms of emotional maturity...I often have to remind myself that no one is responsible for how I feel. As an adult I have a choice to be here or not be here, stay angry or don't, say something or don't.

I find I become less assertive around my family...I will either stay quiet and bottle things up, or snap and say something I will regret...or active in a more passive way to signal my unhappiness at a situation.

I often feel like I make progress in my life in general, find more useful ways to respond and and react...then I come home for a few days and feel like I am back to square one

But yep...my number one thought in terms of emotional maturity is that no one can MAKE me feel a certain way. My feelings, my responsibility. That's about as fat as I get, when it comes to family and being mature

P