View Single Post
Old 12-19-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
notbrowneyed

Thank you all for your replies, I feel like you're telling me the truths that I already know but struggle to accept. I will go to the other question then - how to leave him?
At this point I'm positive that he's doing some changes in his life (I met his therapist, so it's not only my boyfriend's "word" that he's getting help, it's actually happening). Nonetheless, I agree to you all - it's his journey, not mine. I feel like he is "projecting" on me - I feel like by talking about what future he imagines with me he is avoiding the scary unknown future of being sober. As I mentioned, he also has depression and very low self-esteem and being in a loving relationship made him to act dependent - he keeps saying that he wants to change because of me, etc. (I think, through my eyes he can see the person he can become). I understand all this (being emotionally dependent, especially so early in the relationship) is due both to his depression and alcoholism and for him to start recovering he needs to do that on his own and not by starting unhealthy and dependant relationship. The question is how can I leave him? I know that his first reaction might be feeling guilty, feeling "not enough", a "lost case", etc. I know I can't prevent that for happening, but how to do that with least negative impact? Despite everything, and understanding that I HAVE to leave him in order for both of us to get a chance in having a good life, I really care about him and wish that his start for recovery would be continued for his own sake.