Old 12-17-2016, 03:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SWTPEA61

Originally Posted by doublecheck View Post
Six years ago today I accidentally stopped drinking. My son was born and I was ecstatic, so for a couple of days I didn't have a drink. I decided to see how long I could go without a drink, after about a week the cravings started coming back. So I had a to make a choice either drink or come up with something else to do to overcome the boredem. I found this website and started posting and it helped to know perfect strangers were willing to help. Many family members and friends had no idea my issues with drinking. I wouldn't always drink but always drank to much when I did. I never understood the idea of having one. When I was 18, I drank so much I was driving in the wrong direction and never realized that I could be dead until recently. Years later, I was arrested for a DWI, I think I blew a .2 in the street but was never told because I refused a breathalyzer. I said no way will I ever drink because I had no license and lost my job, that was Tuesday. By Sunday, because the Jets game was on I decided to drink again. There were so many nights I blacked out and don't remember. Ironically, even with all this my family and most of my friends never said anything except a select few and my wife. So for many years, I knew I drank to much and would stop for a couple days. I even went drink free for 30 days as a bet and won but on the 31st day, I bought and drank a 6 pack as a reward. I am so lucky my first son was born that provided me a reason to stop drinking.

In a coincidence, yesterday (a day before 6 years) my good friend, who was one of the only people who knew I had a problem texted yesterday saying I am so glad you stopped drinking... I asked why, and he said "my good friend has health issues and it's from drinking. I Thank God you stopped."

Even after 6 years, I am always tempted to drink, especially if I am tired and think I "deserve it" or I am stressed out. People ask me all the time why I don't drink. I still have a hard time answering that question. (Ironic how well marketing is done to make it natural to be drinking and the outcast in business settings without it).
But at the time of cravings, I always think about a couple of things. First, 5 minute rule, I tell myself I don't need it for next 5 minutes. Then I think about my kids and what example am I setting for them and lastly what I accomplished in the past 6 years and is it worth the risk. Within the last 6 years my wife and I have had three kids, our pride and joy. I have increased my salary 66 percent am making over 6 figures and that has helped us buy our first house! I use to live in a one bedroom apartment with a dead end retail sales job. I never thought any of this was possible and/or cared to think about it because all I cared about was when can I get drunk.

For those of you who think it's not possible or your so damn bored you have nothing else to do but drink. I get it, I have been there many times in my life... Find something worth stopping for and stick with it because each day it gets better.

I don't know how long I will stop drinking for, I hope it's forever but I know it won't be today....
Great story and a wonderful life