Old 12-15-2016, 06:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
entropy1964

I have GAD and PTSD so being present in the moment is pretty much survival. I have to first manage my anxiety because if I'm anxious, which is pretty much focusing on things that haven't happened, have all ready happened, and/or I can't control, I am by definition not being mindful. Exercise, sleep and diet really help.

Acceptance and surrender, not just of/to my alcoholism, but of/to life as it is also keeps me mindful. I focus on what I can impact and let go of what I can't.

I pray. And not in the sense of the lords prayer. Our culture is so steeped in Christianity that I think its hard for folks to see that word in any other way. Me included. So my prayer is focused on making a conscious contact with my higher power, then asking that power to help direct me to do the right thing, whatever that may be. I have a long way to go.

I have found that I have not been obsessively thinking as I normally do. Obsessive thinking, for me, is the complete opposite of mindfulness. Let alone serenity. Constantly analyzing and dissecting. Its crazy making. Taking things personally, over thinking. Its all about control. And controlling behavior again, for me, is the opposite of mindfulness. I have a long way to go. But I am really enjoying just 'being' rather than 'doing'......when I get out of my own way, things work out better.