Thread: Alky types.
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2016, 12:03 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
It sounds like both of your are arguing over whether or not clumsy 12-Steppers, or perhaps even those outside of AA, are potentially "killing alcoholics" by dissuading people from attending AA, or from working the steps.

Does that about sum things up?.
Not really. I didn't have the feeling we were arguing, and killing hasn't been mentioned as far as I am aware. Drama is not helpful. What we were discussing is whether or not zero steppers or two steppers can carry a useful message of hope and recovery. I've never met a clumsy 12 stepper btw.

While it is not 1935, some things haven't changed. One of those is that almost none of us in AA liked the way the AA program looked when we first saw it. We tried everything else first, AA being only the last resort when all else fails. And even then we look for easier softer ways through the program.

The alcoholic mind is very open to suggestion towards drinking and or comfort. . For example, sister Ignatia noticed that the recovery rate was lower when a relapser was in the group. I can understand that. Thought it myself, when I was new, had been avoiding the program and was starting to feel uncomfortable. The relapser was proof that you could get away with it and still come back. And if he got away with it maybe I..........

Interesting your comment about grade school writing in the big book. It was still way above my head. Alcohol did a lot of damage to me and my iq was somewhere near my shoe size when I asked for help. Without a sponsor to take me through I doubt I would have survived. Yet at school I was top in the school for English and maths several years running.

Being one of the stupider people to come to AA has been an advantage. Too stupid to argue and challenge, too gullible and trusting, I just followed some simple suggestions that were within my capacity to carry out, and I got well.