Thread: Alky types.
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2016, 07:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by GetMeOut View Post
. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking, not how we label ourselves.
Strictly speaking this is not true. Out poster version of the third tradition is often misinterpreted in this way. When we look at what was behind this tradition at had to do with making sure no alcoholic was ever excluded. In the early days some groups struggled over whether they should allow alcoholics with other problems or who were different in some way to the mainstream as it was then.

Women, gays, people of different religions, people of no religion, people with serious mental illness. The third tradition was designed to include all who suffer from alcoholism, regardless of any other problems they may have had. The third tradition full form, states any two or more alcoholics may call themselves and AA group provided that, as a group, they have no other affiliation.

In the pamphlet Problems other than alcoholism, the matter is further clarified by the statement that we cannot offer AA membership to non alcoholics.

One of the main reasons behind all of this has to do with the level of treatment necessary for the hopeless alcoholic to recover. AA writes about half measures getting us no where, being fearless and thorough from the very start etc. this was the path I had to take if I wanted to survive.

On the other hand the problem drinker does not need to do this work, because they would have been ok regardless. This is where correct labelling has quite serious implications. When someone claiming AA membership tells me they didn't have to take the steps and therefore I wouldn't need to, not only is that not true, it is quite dangerous to me.

Common problem, common solution. Control and choice. If I have the power of choice, then choice would have been an adequate solution. My problem in common is loss of choice, so I need the solution that works for that.