View Single Post
Old 12-09-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
BrendaChenowyth

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
I am very close with my mother. At about six months of sobriety, she asked me, "do you no longer drink alcohol?"

She knew I was an alcoholic, very much so. She was the recipient of many slurred and incoherent phone calls from me over the years.

I shook my head and said "No. I don't drink alcohol anymore."

There was a lot of weight in that very brief conversation. You could have heard a pin drop for about ten seconds after I spoke.

And we were done.

We have not spoken of it since and that was a year and a half ago. We have an implicit understanding that as long as I'm sober, we aren't discussing it.

I didn't tell anyone until about six months. I turned down drinks when they were offered, stopped buying it. I wanted my actions to speak for me.
Thank you. This is actually exactly what I envision happening, and this would be ideal.. and typically us. Though one of the things I don't like about our relationship is that certain things are treated as though they should not be mentioned. That puts the person at the center of the thing not to be talked about at a certain disadvantage..

But I see this exact scenario playing out.. I have just felt uncomfortable lately because I feel like my behavior is so much different from what she is used to, and her responses to it seem so ambivalent and even skeptical that I wonder if it should be brought up.. I'm not going to.. it will come up when it's supposed to.