Thread: Nightmares
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2016, 08:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
wpainterw

Nightmares

Congratulations! For the Holidays you have been awarded a free membership in the Nightmare of the Month Club! Post only amusing (?) nightmares so as not to induce horrible ones in other sufferers.
My entry: Last night I dreamed that I was composing horrible and embarrassing poetry (horribly embarrassing?). I refuse to post my nocturnal work product for fear hoots, jeers and demands that I be expelled from SR.
Possible nightmares that you might enjoy (?). How about one that the late, well known philosopher, Bertrand Russell, suggested in his book "Nightmares of Eminent Personages": The world has been taken over by drones- robots with artificial intelligence who have replaced humans and keep some of them for entertainment and ridicule in zoos. This is interesting and very current. It may well come to pass. I have heard that scientists are working on just such a project right now Of course one can always say that humans could just pull the plug out of the wall or take out the batteries. Not so fast! Robots could be programmed to kill anyone who tries to do that. "Security" robots might call on "undesirable" humans in the middle of the night and export them to horrible places for "extreme rendition". Our local toy store is now selling robots for Christmas giving. Buy one and celebrate the holidays in a drone operated interrogation rendition center.
Special Holiday Bonus: Cure your insomnia! A foolproof method for curing your insomnia is to drift asleep imagining that the world has been taken over and is run by benevolent dogs or horses, kind and understanding the humans whom they own. See a chapter in Swift's "Gulliver's Travels" where the island is owned and run by kindly, wise, benevolent horses. Dog lovers can substitute dogs. Cats? Are all cats trustworthy?

Bill.