View Single Post
Old 12-06-2016, 11:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Any alcoholic can stop drinking. I did it hundreds of times. It is staying stopped that is the issue. For an alcoholic of my type it is really important to understand what the problem is in order to find a solution. You can't fix a car until you know what is wrong with it.

Alcoholism as I have experienced it is about loss of control and choice, nothing else. I was a binge drinker, which meant short periods of sobriety between drinking bouts. Drinking caused me problems which should have had me honestly looking at whether I should stop altogether, like the op is, but it never occurred to me until things got really bad.

When I drank I could not control the amount with any certainty. I usually lost control and would stay drinking for several days until too sick to continue. The inability to moderate is a symptom of alcoholism that does not occur in normal drinkers. Once alcohol was in my system, a powerful craving took over and drinking became paramount to all other things. I have lost jobs by refusing to stop drinking. I didn't want to lose the job, but at the time, stopping drinking was beyond my power.

Having had a few negative experiences you would think I would realize it was not good and stop, and I did that for a few hours or days at a time. But the memory faded. It proved to be an unreliable defense and often I would find myself on the third drink before realising that I wasn't going to drink that day. By then the craving had kicked in and off we go again.

If you are unable to control the amount you take, or if when you really want to you cannot stop altogether, you may be alcoholic.

You could pop along to aa and have a look. There is no need to join. AA meetings are open to alcoholics and people trying to work out if they are alcoholic or not. That might help you define what the problem is. I have known many people in your position who can just stop, when they make up their minds to. That would be the first thing to try. Good luck.