View Single Post
Old 12-04-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Berrybean

I wasn't sure initially but am very glad I went now. It's been great to meet all those other sober people who have shared the same experiences as I have had, and have the opportunity to speak openly about things when I want to.

At any meeting there is no requirement for anyone to speak if they don't want to. Sometimes something is read aloud, and passed around the room so everyone takes a turn reading. People who prefer not to read just say 'pass' and pass it along.

There are different types of meeting, but the most common type (in my area at least) is a share meeting, where someone (who knows and has agreed in advance) will do a main share and afterwards others can share back when the room has been opened up for sharing. The person leading the meeting (the Secretary ) is just another member of AA. Other people will be helping in other ways. Making coffee, treasurer, greeters, Literature person, etc.

It all seemed a little odd and formulaic to me initially, but there is something strangely comforting about a trusted routine. Now I love going to meetings a few times a week, and they always help me feel quite grounded.

For me the 12-step program of recovery has enhanced my life (emotionally ) beyond measure. However, I was going to AA meetings for quite a while before getting a sponsor and starting that process. Some people never do it.

It can be a little nerve wracking walking into your first meeting, but it's well worth it. If you do decide to go, I'd suggest aiming to arrive 10 mins before the official start time. If the meeting time says 7pm, then that's when the bell will ding and the meeting proper starts. It's horrible having to walk in at that point. (It's only happened to a me a couple of times when I got lost and another time stuck in traffic). Ten minutes gives a chance to get your bearings (and a coffee), and settle.

Good luck at your first meeting of you decide to give it a go.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB