View Single Post
Old 12-01-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by lesuisse View Post
I'm staying in the Philippines for a few months for family reasons.
I relapsed about a month ago and my wife brought me to the hospital while I was drunk and sleeping.
When I woke up I realised I was in a detox facility. I wanted to go home but they strapped me on a bed instead.
They took my phone, my money, my clothes, everything. I could not use internet nor contact my family. They did not even tell me how long I would stay there.
To be honest the first week there was the worst I had in my entire life: withdrawals, insomnia, fear, anger, anxiety, claustrophobia, depression. I kept on saying I did not give any consent but nobody would listen to me.
The facility was small, bars everywhere and nothing to see but a small inner courtyard (where it was not allowed to walk). It really felt like jail and I almost went crazy...
Finally I was discharged after two weeks. I'm sober now and don't want to drink. But I have to admit I'm still resentful towards my wife and the detox facility. My autonomy was simply thrown away in the trash and I was treated like a convicted felon for having picked up the drink again. Bad experience.

Le suisse
Be grateful you got out and have another chance at sobriety.

What you experience was a taste of the inevitable conclusion of the alcoholic journey. Those that aren't lucky enough to die go insane and end up permanently locked up.

Your wife absolutely did the best thing for you. What were her alternatives? Get treatment for you, enable you, or leave you. Which would you have preferred? And spare a thought for the misery you have been putting her though.

You are through detox, the withdrawals are over, your head is clearer, you know where your disease can take you. Aren't you now in the best position ever to take action on a recovery plan?

Your wife has done you a very big favour which might just save your life..