Thread: Failure
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2016, 06:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Doug39

Weddings are brutal for a recovering alcoholic.

Today I am 38 days sober after 27 years of daily drinking.

In 2013 I did quit drinking for 4 months. During those 4 months I had a heavily booze soaked wedding reception to attend.

I dreaded going for weeks. On the day of the reception I drove my wife and her friend. Pretty much everybody at the party got wasted. I got bored listening to the drunken babbling.

My wife and her friend were pretty tanked up when we left; and of course they wanted to go barhopping. It was close to midnight when we got to a bar that had a band and it was packed with drunken people. I nursed a Coke and sat quietly aggravated as I watched my drunken wife and her drunken friend make fools of themselves harmlessly flirting with guys 25 years younger than them.

When I finally got them out of the bar we went to my wife's friends house - they wanted to continue drinking there but I said no way. My wife wanted to stop at another bar on the way home but I refused.

In my drinking days I would have been right along with them and foolishly driving drunk as well.

Anyways it is tough to deal with drinkers on a regular basis; my wife still drinks everyday and on the weekends she drinks from 11am to bedtime.

I just try to stay strong and do my thing. I do not want to drink anymore and I know I cannot control anyone else's drinking.