View Single Post
Old 11-30-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Originally Posted by steve-in-kville View Post
I need to learn to let it go and move on, plain & simple. But its pretty complicated. It would be like me admitting I was in the wrong when really I wasn't.
No it wouldn't. We can hand over those justified resentments to our HP and let THEM deal with it, and allow ourselves some serenity rather than punish ourselves for something THEY (whoever they are) did wrong.

I used to let my pride get in the way of my serenity in the past. Not gonna do that any more if I can ever help it. Those resentments (justified or not) are heavy on the heart when we're carrying them around.

I use a Do It Anyway prayer a lot (every day at least once) to help me with this....

God, help me to accept that people may be unreasonable and self-centred. Let me forgive them anyway.
Help me to accept that if I’m kind, people may accuse me of ulterior motives. Let me be kind anyway.
Help me to accept that if I find happiness, people may be jealous. Let me be happy anyway.
Help me to accept that the good I do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Let me do good anyway.
Help me to accept that I may give the world my best, and it may never be good enough. Let me give my best anyway.
God, help me to remember that it is between you and me. It was never between me and them anyway.

Might be worth giving that a go (along with a good old resentment prayer or ten).

God, I have a resentment towards X that I want to be free of.
So I am asking you to give X everything I want for myself.
Help me feel compassion; understanding and love for X.
I pray that X will receive everything they need.
Thankyou for your help and strength with this resentment.

No need to keep poisoning yourself with that resentment.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB