Thread: Brick by Brick
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
thomas11

Brick by Brick

yeah, this will be long. For those that know me some of this will be repetitive. About a year and half ago my life changed forever, I was drunk, fell down in my house and hurt myself pretty bad. Spent 2 weeks in hospital, months in a wheelchair, then a walker etc... healing time was a full year.

I had a lot of time to think about everything, and at times it was pretty deep. I needed to dig myself out of a huge hole and it was going to require my full attention. Early on I made some pretty heavy decisions, I sold my company, I decided I needed (and wanted) to forever stop drinking alcohol, I wanted to address some things around my house that had been neglected and I wanted to get (seriously) healthy again.

I started with nothing. I did not have my health, I did not have a job (my business), I had a house that needed major upkeep to hold its value, I was overweight and out of shape, I was probably developing an opiate addiction and was probably a bit depressed and overwhelmed.

I started with the basics, get myself healthy with physical therapy and get involved with things to abide my time. Then I addressed the house, then I put myself through real estate school and passed my exams, then bought $100 worth of weights off craigslist and started working out in the basement. Things were progressing pretty well, although I admittedly was dragging my feet on some minor things. Then we had a couple setbacks over the last month. My wife totaled both of our vehicles, I got very sick, I lost all my data on both my computers, and I'm sure there was some other things in there.

This triggered me to add some more layers of bricks on my foundation of life. First was getting the vehicle situation resolved, so we got a new one, and we'll buy a used one with the insurance check. This gave me a boost of optimism. Since I'm a tight-a$$ our vehicles were old but we owed nothing. But I have to admit, driving around in a new car is nice, and "feels good". This brick triggered/pushed me to start getting active in real estate again (another brick), then just Monday I joined a gym (another brick). I was almost a professional bodybuilder in the 90's and have not been in a gym since 2000. I have said recently I'm on a health kick, well I want my "kick" to last until I'm 60 yrs old, that's my goal. I have reengaged with SR (another brick) in order to keep my recovery in check and a high priority. These last few layers of bricks have really propelled my confidence and self worth. I have been the busiest I've been since I got hurt.

So, I have a long ways to go but as long as the trajectory keeps going up, I'm ok with it. I started with literally nothing, and for the second time in my life, I'm attempting to rebuild the whole works from scratch. I have no idea if I will succeed, but I know I will give it my all. And as corny as it sounds, the good people on this site have been instrumental in providing motivation to keep adding bricks to my foundation.

ps. I don't know if this helps anyone, but it helps me just to type it out. Therapeutic.