View Single Post
Old 11-28-2016, 05:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
August252015

Good ideas. Some of what you mention (ie go to dentist) is one-time, just starting stuff we need to do when quitting (and in general to be healthy people). Some of it is ongoing- self-care, rest and varying our time from rec and work is all important. Just curious- have you been sober since you started with this list?

IME and IMO, all of this stuff needs to supplement- and come after and secondary- to a IRL recovery program. Mine is AA and at 9 months, I still (sidenote: I say "still" but I consider myself in early sobriety, so this also has a double meaning of "plan to continue") attend 4-6 meetings most weeks (and when low, like last week at 2, step it up the next), and about 1-2 hours of specific recovery work each day. So, more than one meeting and just one reliant on another person's involvement (for me, my companion is my bf and we do a lunch and a meeting once a week, but I go to my total number regardless of his schedule because my recovery and my attendance supercede anyone else's participation).

Also....I can let a couple of loads of laundry go or not fold all the towels and that is a-ok- it doesn't impact my recovery. I've learned what is important to me as far as keeping a tidy place, for example, and that's good, and it also matters way little or nil compared to my mindset and focus on sobriety. Again, all this kind of "stuff" is good but secondary, or even tertiary (if I only run once a week, but keep my work shifts at the restaurant a full schedule, that's fine for now), to my sobriety.

What program are you working? What type of counseling and for how long (you mention group but not specifics)? What about individual therapy (I am on meds and do a session with my pysch for that check up and for talking, now every 2-3 months but at first every 3 weeks or so)?

Good luck!