Thread: Coming clean
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Algorithm

Originally Posted by sadsadgirl View Post
I do smoke. I'm getting some nicotine patches this week and will start on them.
I realize that we are inundated by "quitting sucks, nicotine replacement therapy can help" advertisements, but this is simply maintaining the addiction to nicotine, full stop. I know a lot of people fall for this, and swear that they've quit, but it's just the pharmaceutical industry catering to the smoker's own Addictive Voice, to make big profits.

If this is not clear, consider that it's no different than "alcohol replacement therapy", where someone replaces alcohol bottles with an IV drip that slowly feeds them alcohol all day. That wouldn't really be quitting the alcohol at all. Of course, I wouldn't put it past the pharmaceutical industry to try selling something like that someday, with every drunk falling for it.

I highly recommend the free materials over at WhyQuit.com, the Internet's #1 free cold turkey quit smoking resource. I especially recommend the free books and videos under Joel's Library. They teach a lost art, now taught by practically no one, and it will save you a lot of trouble, and a lot of money on gimmicks and snake oil.

Originally Posted by sadsadgirl View Post
I have to maintain the momentum, I'm dreadful at starting things and not following through.
Read the materials which are available to you, and don't let your own AV send you all over the place, down every path but the obvious one. It takes no great effort to not do something, if you know what you are up against.