View Single Post
Old 11-27-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
thomas11

Last night was horrible

Last night for the first time (that I remember) I was absolutely bored silly. Saturday night, nothing to do. What I used to do was dive into a bottle of booze and start watching football, I would rarely see the end of the games. I was sorta tempted to drink, but I thought about actually drinking it and it sounded horrible. Never really did like the taste of alcohol, and since I've been sober my taste buds have woken up and like food (too much). I literally went through my checklist of things I do to stay busy and I was tapped out. Finally I simply crawled in bed with the electric blanket on and watched some TV and went to bed quite early.

Maybe this will help someone, but I did this because I had things I wanted to do today and drinking would have erased that. I did some shopping with my wife (which I despise), went to an open house, and am getting ready to workout. I think sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and deal with the boredom, because the benefits down the road will be many.

To combat this in the future, I am considering buying a game console and all the stuff for car racing. I did it some years back and I actually enjoy it quite it bit. I know the technology has come a long ways and I have a big TV that would be fun to do it on. I am by no means a gamer, but the car racing (and possibly flight simulator) stuff I find fun. Anyone have any suggestions on that front?

Overall my point is that for anyone working hard on quitting and struggling with what to do with the time you used to drink....we simply have to deal with it. The easy thing to do is grab a beer, or pour a glass of wine, or in my case mix a drink, it will alleviate the short term boredom. But if you are an alcoholic like me, it resets everything back to zero and that is not worth it anymore. Done ranting.