View Single Post
Old 11-24-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
NewBeginnings13

Newbie to all his

Hello all and Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm brand new to recovery and attended my first AA meeting last night. I finally decided enough was enough and it was time to get serious about my health.

I recently lost a friend who aspirated into her lungs while sleeping off a binge. It caused a heart attack. She was so young and it was so tragic. It forced me to look at my own life and drinking.

I liked the AA meeting and met some warm and compassionate people there. I am however terrified of withdrawal symptoms. I looked all over the internet on how to avoid them (like that's even possible) and one site discussed tapering off. It said if you follow a certain schedule you can taper without the horrible symptoms. I've scheduled my entire next week with what I'll be doing and also scheduled "projects" to take up my "trigger times." My house may actually get really clean!

So far, I'm feeling pretty OK and even have an appetite. Its the insomnia that's getting me right now. And my hands are a bit shaky but that's gotten better this afternoon. I'm basically on day 2. Drinking tons of water, taking vitamin B (I read that somewhere) and taking it minute by minute.

Sorry for the ramble. I just wanted to introduce myself. So glad I found this site. I've already learned so much.