View Single Post
Old 11-24-2016, 08:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Algorithm

Originally Posted by BrokenW View Post
The entire ride down here, I thought, what am I going to tell my family? I'm without a car and the stress I'm holding is enough to crush an elephant.
Consider that had you injured someone else, or even injured just yourself, in your DUI accident, you could be spending your Thanksgiving holiday under very different, and far more stressful circumstances. Forget about the car. It can be replaced with relatively little collateral damage to your life.

Originally Posted by BrokenW View Post
I contemplated stopping by the liquor store... I hope that I can stick it out.
It doesn't sound like you've internalized the reality that the state is probably going to force you to abstain as a consequence of your DUI charges. The charges could get dismissed, but given the high BAC result, and the accident, that is not likely. If you are under 21, that could place you in the "zero tolerance" category.

They will probably give you probation if you have a clean record and this is your first offense, but probation comes with conditions, such as not drinking or using drugs. Those conditions are a contractual obligation with the court, and if you violate that contract, you face the full brunt of the charges, in addition to a violation of parole charge.

You simply cannot afford to merely "hope" to abstain from alcohol. You must get that one, single idiocy out of your life, not only so that you can demonstrate to the court that you understand the situation you now find yourself in, and that you will not re-offend, but also so that you might salvage your life and your future.

Do yourself and your family a favor, and get a grip on this now, while you are young, and the price is relatively low. If you do not, that price will probably go up as years go by. You were not born to drink, nor were you born to lose by wasting your potential on alcohol.