View Single Post
Old 11-24-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

I woke up this morning feeling pretty good for the first time in weeks. There are still things for me to stress about, and no doubt I will, but today I'm going to try to focus on a sense of gratitude and hope.

I'm grateful for my home, when so many don't have one. Mine has its issues, but I have a roof over my head, heat, food in my pantry and fridge, comfortable rooms to live in.

I'm grateful for my job, which I often overcomplicate. I have terrific coworkers who have my back when I need it.

I'm grateful for my family, even though I won't be spending the holiday with them. My kids are doing well, I have a lovely relationship with their dad and stepmom (will be visiting everyone at Christmas), and my dad and stepmom are settled into their new home in assisted living (that they are loving). We got their home in Arizona sold this week (closing) and that went pretty smoothly (though there was a roof replacement involved).

I'm grateful for my sobriety, without which I would have none of these things. I'm having some angst over leaving my home group and finding another, but taking some time to think it all through and ultimately it will work out.

I'm grateful for my new church family I'm getting to know. As a result of feeling very upset and depressed over the election, I decided I need some community around me (gets rather isolated working from home most of the time), and I've started attending a very welcoming and tolerant church.

I'm grateful for having my pension and some money in the bank, so hopefully I will be able to retire someday without burdening others financially.

Hope everyone else has a warm and wonderful holiday. And even if you can't quite manage that, try to find things to appreciate in your life. Gratitude can't always be switched on, on command. It has to be practiced, and it gets easier with time.

Hugs!