View Single Post
Old 11-20-2016, 03:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Jack16

Originally Posted by shockozulu View Post
Another way SMART is similar to AVRT. Word substitution. We are not sad. From there I can find help me to change my mood through simple things through simple word substitutions that remove the feeling from who I am. So instead of "I am sad" I'll word it as "My feeling is sadness." That alone removes the association from who I am to what I feel, and we have control over our feelings. For example, when I feel sad I can alter my mood by listening to upbeat Queen songs with the powerful vocals, drums and baselines .If it is something extremely sad I can cry and then get that feeling out. Again, I am doing an action to complete the circle of the feeling and I am not the feeling

As for my AV, I have name it "Mr Wishful Thinking." Mr because when we use that term in English it symbolizes a relationship somewhat distant and Wishful Thinking symbolizes my recognition that my AV is exactly what I call it, something that wants me to give in but in actuality wants me to do something I know isn't in my best interest.

Its a good thing I talk to my dog already or everyone would think I was nuts spouting off a term like that out loud.

Being able to tell it off gives me a lot of power.

http://www.smartrecovery.org/resourc...Vocabulary.pdf
Exactly. It's becoming the observer of emotions/feelings/thoughts, and that distance is everything. It's interesting that so many of these techniques and ideas are being endlessly repackaged these days (which is great), but people were on this stuff thousands of years ago.

Thanks

(lovely dog!)