View Single Post
Old 11-20-2016, 03:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Jack16

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Ah yes, the AV loves that one. The truth is though, this is how people quit. Even people who use other methods will often say that they've taken drinking off the table as an option ever, or they say things like "Don't drink", "keep it simple", "put a (plastic) chip in your mouth, and when it dissolves, then you can drink". Those are all basic variations on the concept of never. The reality is, the only way to get out from under addiction to alcohol is to not put alcohol in your body. By not committing to forever, you are simply on and off the hamster wheel of addiction. AVRT removes the wheel entirely.
Yes, I've begun to notice that. I realise now just how much I adopted a belief in powerlessness over drinking, AND how I used that as an excuse to continue.

For the last year and a half I've been doing therapy, and I'd say it's taken me that long to truly understand that no one can save you but yourself. As I've said before, I'm getting AVRT more and more every day. Stuff that didn't make sense to me in the book, does now. Like the stuff at the start where Trimpey describes the phone call with the woman who called him, and he simply kept asking her what her plan was - whether she planned to keep drinking or to stop. Reading that part irritated me, just as it did the woman he was describing. But now I see the simplicity of what he was saying.

I feel good, and I feel confident.

Thanks

Last edited by Jack16; 11-20-2016 at 03:18 AM. Reason: spelling error