Old 11-14-2016, 01:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
ClearLight

Well you did a lot better than me my first try. I couldn't even make it in the door.
I actually sat outside in the car and watched people go in to make sure they didn't look like a bunch of freaks. In fact I did that several times.
Like others are saying different meetings and groups have different procedures and "feel" different.
Your meeting had way more praying than I've ever encountered.
I have to remind myself that AA has all kinds of different people with a wide range of viewpoints.
They say take what works for you and leave the rest. I'm still working on that.
I was at a meeting a few days ago where several people talked about going to the meetings high or drunk before they managed to stop. Another talked about going to meetings sober but still drinking after meeting for a year or two.
the big book is OK to me. It's written in a style that I find off putting and it's all written as if alcoholism is totally a man's problem. At least that's how it comes across to me. It was written in the 1930's and/or 40's.
You might consider checking out the section "PERSONAL STORIES" that comes after the usual part of the big book. This is a lot more contemporary. I could relate a lot more to that section.
Alcoholics Anonymous : Alcoholics Anonymous

Bottom line is that attendance at the meetings doesn't require anything of you. Just a desire to stop drinking. You don't have to do the steps or share or anything. I like going just to hear about real people that have turned their lives around.