View Single Post
Old 11-10-2016, 01:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Illuminate

Why would you say that you drink?

I've been pondering this question today. Why do I drink? I suppose you could answer that the brain is addicted to it and craves it, and our willpower can't always compete with that. Maybe the better question is, then, why did you start drinking in the first place?

My answer here could be two things. One is that I've always been an anxious person, quite neurotic at times, and alcohol helped quell my fears. I remember a big extended family get-together when I was finally old enough to acceptably drink with my family, and it was 10x less intimidating and somehow more enjoyable. That was the start of alcohol use to treat anxieties of mine, I think.

The other reason is because somehow it feels edgy and adventurous to drink. My life was so straightforward and lacked excitement...I went to college like a good kid, got an engineering degree, got a nice desk job and settled into what would be decades of nothing all that exciting going on, in my mind (this isn't necessarily true. Just sharing my thought processes). And friends really liked drunk me. I was goofy and outgoing. I ended up dating a girl who often saw me when drunk and really liked me...then she hung out with sober me and quickly got bored and ended it. That was a tough loss for me, and its failure definitely gave me anxiety about a life of bachelorhood, a life I didn't want at all, and I'd drink when my thoughts about that got out of control. Don't know if anyone else feels this way, but I almost find it exciting to live this double life as a drinker while putting on a show that I'm a totally healthy, unencumbered person.