Thread: Smart???
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2016, 07:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
KiKi0615

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
KiKi0615, I attend both AA and SMART and each provides it's own, unique set of tools to me. I don't discuss my SMART attendance with those in AA nor do I talk about AA when I am in SMART meetings.

Nor do I believe that either should embark on bashing the other, especially during a meeting. I used to love a SMART meeting that I attended years ago. At the beginning of the meeting the following was said: "SMART recognizes that there are alternative programs out there and it's ok to discuss them but we will not tolerate derogatory discussion. We recognize that multiple programs may be useful in sobriety and are glad that you are choosing to use this program as one of your sober tools".

How great is that statement?! It speaks to "We support you in your efforts to be sober no matter your plan and we're happy to have you".

Each are useful in their own right. Not one person is the same and everyone has the right to build their own active recovery plan. If what you're doing keeps you sober and honestly happy about it do what is right for you.
That sounds wonderful Ladyblue. I can't wait to go to my first meeting tomorrow!