View Single Post
Old 11-04-2016, 06:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

The worst, the best.

Isn't it a strange paradox, how sometimes the "worst" habits can be the easiest to develop, while the "best" can be the hardest?

But perhaps in this paradox is a partial answer to that age-old question about the meaning of life.

Perhaps in this paradox lies the path to development of deep character.

Perhaps it is in the development of those "best" habits that we find the deepest blessings in this life.

It's relatively easy to develop habitual relationships to alcohol, drugs, partying, slothfulness..... heck, even those who don't really have a 'problem' with addiction can often be seen to have problematic habits regarding addictions.

For many of us, it is far easier to find ourselves headed to the liquor store than to the gym.

Easier to just get up and drink coffee than to wake and meditate and go for a walk.

Easier to flop on the sofa and turn on the television than to pay the bills and cut the lawn.

But it's in these smaller daily decisions that we build our habits. It may not seem like a big choice; deciding to watch a movie and clean the bathroom 'later'. But it's a choice that combines with other choices to build the momentum and kinetic direction of our life's journey.

The "Secret" to sobriety may not be a secret at all.... but rather a deepening of diligence in living. Rather a series of choices... sometimes the 'harder' choice, but the 'better' choice.

So as you go about today - perhaps it will be useful to observe the choices you are making. Even the seemingly small ones. Do I put the dish into the dishwasher, or do I leave it on the counter beside the sink. Do I take the dog for a walk or do I mess around on Facebook for another hour. Do I make a list of action items and begin to tick them off through the day, or do I let the piles continue to build up.

Though I am nearly 3 years sober, I am still working on progressing with making the "Best" choices and develping the "Best" habits.... lest I return, gradually, nearly-imperceptibly, back to the "Worst".

Happy Sober Friday everyone.