View Single Post
Old 11-03-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
DoubleDragons

I used to be of the "Halloween is a big party" mindset. I quit drinking over three years ago and I will never forget my first sober Halloween. The stench of alcohol on everyone was almost overpowering. I felt nauseated. It is funny how you never smell alcohol when you are one of the drinkers.

It is so surreal being a non-drinker now. I have way too many years of heavy drinking under my belt to ever make a judgment on it. That being said, my alcohol-free life is so great and I feel physically great all of the time. I wish society didn't put such an emphasis on it one way or another. My husband (he is not an alcoholic, my mother is my qualifier here) is on a business trip. We never drink at home anymore, so the only times he drinks any alcohol is when he is socializing on business. He had a glass of wine and couple of beers last night and a bunch of rich food and he told me how miserably he slept and how lousy his stomach feels this morning. You can't tell people how great life is without alcohol without seeming preachy and holier than thou, but once you experience a long period of time without it, you wish you could shout it to the hills how great life is when you are clear minded and taking care of your body, mind and soul in the best way possible. I guess living by example is what I am trying to do for my kids.