View Single Post
Old 11-01-2016, 04:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
LadyBlue0527
Mini Novel Post Writer

I LOVE that blog post! Thanks svenissober! This is the best, "Sobriety fills my life to the brim, and I know it." I also have bookmarked it because I think it's the best place to go on those rare occasions that I see my old drinking buds posting pics when they're out and about.

Back to the OP. joshlyman, this is the first time I've heard of FOMO. I was invited to go to a music festival that happens every Sunday here. I politely declined because I know what that day is really all about for my friends. I began to think about the whole FOMO. Then, I removed alcohol from the entire equation in my mind. I tested how much FOMO I felt if there were no alcohol present. Oddly, that whole feeling went away. This proved to me that my FOMO had nothing to do with missing out on going somewhere with friends, listening to music, and all the fun that everyone was having. It was my drinking mind and its old ways of fear of passing up the opportunity to drink. So for me, it's not FOMO, it's FOMOOD. Fear of missing out on drinking. I don't feel this way anymore but boy, when I hadn't yet accepted that I can't drink, it definitely was a MOOD for sure!

If you think about that party and remove all the alcohol and make it a dry party do you still feel the same about FOMO?

It was good to see that you didn't attend and you played the tape. You know how the night would have ended.

Keep it up, there will come a day where those things not only don't interest you anymore, they will bore you. 99% of the time it has nothing to do with the event, it's the opportunity to drink that's the true enticement.