View Single Post
Old 11-01-2016, 12:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
boblardo

Early Days but feeling positive

Saturday morning, after a 7 hour drinking binge, I almost lost the 3 of the most important things in my life.

After lots of tears and honest chat with the mrs I admitted to her and, importantly, myself that I have a drinking problem.

We agreed to get through it together and get whatever help I needed to be able to give her the best of me

I joined this forum the very same day

Sunday was an emotional and difficult day, I had no idea how our marriage would survive and really wanted a beer but knew I had to abstain otherwise it really was over

Monday I phoned AA (this was the second time I had phoned them in 3 years), again more tears and the undeniable realisation that I cannot control drinking, it controls me and I need help. He agreed to get a local AA meeting attendee to call me

Throughout the day I had so many emotions, fear, anxiety and panic were the most common ones. I also convinced myself I didn't need to go!!!

We met up 1hr ahead of the meeting and talked, it was enlightening, refreshing and honest. At that moment I was no longer afraid and was ready for the meeting

Went to the meeting and some of the stories made really struck home, there were people younger than me and people much older than me but all there trying to get the same help.

I am so glad I went, I was made to feel welcome and not one person judged me. I was told I am courageous and brave which was the opposite of my feelings of weak and afraid

Today, I have woken up positive and glad that I've finally taken the first step. There is still a long way to go but I'm on the right path!!

I'm staying around thanks for all the support that I've been given and for the support I've yet to get

Happy Tuesday everyone, hope you all have a good day