Old 10-26-2016, 08:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JeffreyAK

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm not trying to be harsh, just maybe show you what this looks from the outside to someone who's heard a lot of alcohol and drug-related tales, and has a bunch of his own, and knows people who've been killed or paralyzed by drunk/drugged drivers.

One, you don't want to hear about the value of abstinence despite getting fired from a job for coming in drunk multiple times, crashing a car drunk, getting a DUI, getting your license suspended for a year, getting or almost getting kicked out onto the homeless streets, etc. Perhaps you see that alcohol itself impairs judgement?

Two, you think that alcoholics (about half of all first-time DUI drivers are alcoholics, whether they are willing to admit it or not, yet) can learn to control their decision making processes about driving drunk even if they cannot control their drinking anymore, and even though most DUI arrests are of people WAY over the legal limit and making themselves obvious, long past the time when their better judgement might have intervened. This does not make sense.

Three, you're exaggerating enough that I can't tell what you're really hearing in DUI class. I'm quite certain no one told you alcohol was evil, and I'm pretty sure that a bit of reflection might correct the curious notion that DUIs are just being made out to be bad by MADD members who control government/politicians.

I went through DUI school about 5 years before I finally quit drinking, and at the time I was certain I didn't have a problem, just got unlucky. The stories of drunken debauchery from the instructor, or the AA folks they brought in, didn't resonate with me, neither did the movies. And I was far from alone, there were two people out of maybe 40 who admitted they were alcoholics, the rest of us just went through the motions. But half of the people in that room, on average, were alcoholics destined for far worse times (like I was), and nearly half would go on to get a 2nd DUI and possibly kill someone else (fortunately I did not get any more).

It's a big deal, and every single person who gets a DUI blew right through years of cultural training not to drink and drive, knowing all about BAC levels, how many drinks is drunk, taxi options, etc. By the time you finally get your DUI, you're almost certainly driven drunk many times before without getting caught, and you've already demonstrated that none of that past education and experience mattered once you got a couple or more drinks in you.

At that point, the best solution really is to not drink, and seek support if necessary to stay away from alcohol, for a long time if not forever.