View Single Post
Old 10-26-2016, 10:51 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
BrendaChenowyth

It's a toxic work environment.. there's more to it in another thread and I just got back on to it tangentially here... I am an in home caregiver, have been with a woman with dementia for about a year. There is always a challenge of finding a good fit, especially with older people and especially with dementia, and we have a good fit. My walking away means she might have to be placed in a nursing home because there may not be a replacement for me.

Her nephew lives across the street and he just stops over. He used to help me with certain things but with his wife getting sick and his drinking escalating secondary to that, he has come around less. But generally he does stop by nightly. I have had a level of discomfort around him from the get go but now, two months in to my sobriety, I realized that because of my confusing feelings for him (that are very much tied to my issues with my own father) he presents a potential relapse trigger for me.

I requested out of the case. I was asked to wait til a replacement was found. I was guilted in to staying indefinitely because of what I explained above about there not being too many other good options... So between myself and my agency we came up with the compromise that he stay away on the 3 evenings that I am there (sometimes it's four if I cover for someone) and it would seem to me that would be an easy fix... but that hasn't been the case yet.

PS when I say his drinking has gotten worse... back in the springtime I overheard him talking to his nephew and saying "I drink all the time now. Over here, at home, at work." Functional alcoholic by all appearances, but does fly off the handle sometimes, so far just verbally.