View Single Post
Old 08-18-2005, 07:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
tyler
Not all better, getting better

Hi Vic, glad to see you beating back those urges. The way I understand the NA program is that attending meetings will only keep you straight for the hour or so that you are there. It's getting involved, getting a sponsor, doing service, etc that really help. It sounds like you've got a good bit of free time on your hands right now, why don't you get to the meeting early and help set up the chairs, it might be a way to get to meet some people. Ask about service opportunites available, if not in NA, then just in the community in general. Before I was back working I volunteered for a group called Second Harvest that goes around to grocery stores, resturants, and food wholesalers and picks up food that is still OK to eat, but was going to get thrown out. We would then bring it to homless shelters, soup kitchens, etc. It got me out of the house doing something for others, which in turn made me feel good. NA service work would serve the dual purpose of helping other addicts and starting to build that network that you miss. I tend to be a bit of a solitary person myself, so I know how hard it can be. Hope this helps. Take care.