View Single Post
Old 10-21-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
thetroubledone

Thumbs down 3+ years of frustration

Me and my partner met over the internet, there is somewhat of an age difference so we took it slow neither of us expecting much. Three years later it's been a roller coaster to say the least, I suppose I should've noticed red flags but I was naive enough to think nothing of it. Hiding bottles of wine, drunken phone calls that lasted hours (In the early days I didn't associate it with drink but now I know better).

You see my girlfriend is probably like someone you've known, very caring, honest, bright and can't do enough etc etc, then the demon drink gets it's grips over her and that all changes. She's different to how you would imagine an alcoholic as she's a binge drinker, this basically means she can go without drink for a longish period of time but eventually binges anything between 3-4 bottles of wine in 24 hour period over a large period of days. Once she's snapped out of it and I've helped her detox (me taking a day off work and her neglecting work entirely) the regret and realisation of what happens sinks in. The promises that she'll change and even admitting that she has a problem come to fruition only for the pattern to repeat a month or 2 later.

It's difficult because as I've said once she's detoxes she has no inclination to even touch alcohol but after a while fancies a drink and we go through the same process again. Since I've known her the most she's gone without drink is 4 months, and even when she does start drinking again it takes its time to get to the really rough stages.

When it's rough though it's rough, neglecting work, her health, not eating properly, not keeping in contact with friends, hiding drink and lying to me about how much she's drank, promising me she'll stop tomorrow only for it to drag on for another week. All the time i'm at work and concerned about her not going or even contacting her work place as well as her health.

I've been dealing with this on and off since we met. I love her very much and have tried everything to help (We went to the DRs about drink but because it's binging they didn't class her as an alcoholic) and even taking it to extremes by just throwing all her drink away, she's been verbally aggressive but never physically.

I'm typing this up because she's at the start of a binge and I'm frustrated, 3 bottles of wine already since about 8am and sleeping that off now.

Thanks for reading.