View Single Post
Old 10-19-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
August252015

Hi Bishop- welcome. I think someone on the other thread where you posted suggested joining the October Class under the Newcomers Daily Support Threads section. There is a group for each month people stop drinking so other October peeps will be there.

I am a dedicated AA-er myself. There are other programs that work for plenty of folks and the key is finding a PLAN and a PROGRAM that will work for you. And committing to it; you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink, period. You can do it. SR can be a great part of your recovery toolbox; personally, IRL support is crucial for me and SR is a good adjunct.

Many people worry about the non-anonymous issue with AA; my boyfriend has a fairly high profile job in his community (he lives in a suburb of Atlanta and I live in the city proper) and was slow to feel comfortable going to AA for similar reasons as you say. He has started going with me, and we usually go to "my" meetings, but as his comfort level with his entire life of sobriety goes, any concern about "people knowing" has all but disappeared. Just some thoughts on that sensitive topic for you.

You obviously have a lot to live for. There is absolutely nothing in the world that isn't better sober. You can do it. See you around here!